Rajesh Bhandari

When young minds are challenged to think big, they will always believe to push their envelop forward regardless of situation.

Friday, May 8, 2020

A Leader without Achievement

                                                


A  school of 72 kids, not so privilege, scarcely have a uniform to wear. Bags and slippers are clannish; meal a day would have been a milestone to accomplish. 

But the splendor of their lifestyle is unmatchable. A priceless smile they illustrate, mantle to anyone goes nearby and value them as superior as a luminary.


 I indicate not to declare the name of the place and school I visited, but am sure passing you all the ambiance from the atmosphere can even make me more emotional. It reiterates me about the future prediction of leadership philosophy and about their accomplishment.  Mrs. Sudha, who happens to be the principal of a school.


71 now has a true story of herself that she couldn’t tell anyone, devoted 36 long years of her life teaching and disseminating knowledge and education. 


I still remember the moment she had once shared her personal story with me, that she had to stride miles away crossing forest and rivers to meet some parents of her school children to discern why those kids were not being sent to school. 


The community was staggered to glimpse that she did everything to bring kids back to school and bestow them the education they always wanted. Nobody ever knew she had a habit of saving until her lovely grandson turn 20, soon after he discovered, he asked her one day the rationale behind every penny saved in her saving box. 


‘I have something astounding in my mind’, she replied.  She however had something extraordinary to proffer to him, but taking anything away from her saving box was nearly intricate.

 Why did you refuse to give to your grandson whom you love the most? I asked. Since that is not meant for him, whatever meant for him he unquestionably will get. She replied. Much spiritual as she seems. I got a firm retort why she chose to be that way. 

A few days later at school I got to know that her students’ conscription went up radically. Everyone at the village then learned that most of the students were supported by those ostensibly insignificant contributions that she has been producing every single day over the course of her life in her saving box.


 One very special day I was invited as the school was going to honor the best student more like an academic award most schools provide to their students by inviting their parents. She asked me to give a small speech over the session I did a pretty good job I must say. 


What I found the exceptional about the school is every Friday they had a small session where each student is asked to share their passion as to why they have chosen those passions and to find the source of it. 


I got a decent chance to sit with and get to identify more about them. Mrs. Sudha’s inspiration has a long way to delineate why those underprivileged kids’ think so contrarily about their life and future. Almost 12 nights and 13 days with her school children, I never knew how fast the day had gone. 


On my final day, packed my luggage, 10 am, birds heckling, cold and fresh air, assuredly I was attached emotionally with the mud house, clean water, and fresh air, and most probably Mrs. Sudha. Why don’t you go and see students once before you leave, I am sure they must be waiting for you. She said.


On my way back, I opened my laptop, found a piece of paper with a handwritten note. Such fine-looking handwriting it was. The letter simply states that, dear I appreciate your days, efforts, and beautiful thing you talk, I am going to miss all of these. 


I don’t know how long I am going to live. I am much worried about my school kids and their life and future career. You know I have sold all my lands and whatsoever properties to support kids, whatever I had saved had all gone.


 I have put my grandson at risk, he just had a hope to dream immense, discover life on his own with free of cost, any day if he anticipates for any financial sustenance, he gonna have to find his own way. 


Son, I have a lot of debts to pay back to my teams who situate their exertion day and night to run the school effortlessly, I must look after them as well. 


Since they emanate deep inside the village, they run their family by the money they generate from the school. You know son if you want to give anything back you must accomplish more, be it respect, accolades, or anything valuable so that you will be able to contribute back to your team as you serve your organization and people at large. 


I write this letter to you, Son one last favor if you can help me sell one of my kidney I could reimburse to all my team members. You take care, my son. As I end the reading, I couldn’t sojourn progressing my tears down my cheeks.


She had unquestionably extended me the learning that best leaders are those who lead without achievement by giving most of the thing back to the people they work with as an obligation. She had given much-valued thing back to the society that she possessed, her sacrifice and responsibility demonstration, which I believe was nothing less than a leader, and she most unquestionably is a blessing and a treasure and remains as a fortune for people who had nothing else to hope for. 


She had put her people and community concern before her own aspiration. She must have represented herself as a great public servant. 


That is what I erudite from my sabbatical, Dear Professor. Ohh, I almost have forgotten, I have a class in a minute, students must be waiting for me, I must go now. Professor looked at me till I vanished.


Writer: Mr. Rajesh Prasad Bhandari
President: PVP Nepal, Province no. 7
BBA Program Director, Brixton College  
Phone: 9805422784           
Email: tfabodoc@gmail.com

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great sir

Bashu said...

Meaning of leadership is in you sir

Unknown said...

Nice inspiration story

Unknown said...

Great work sir🙏everyone have their own way of leading and sometime the unheard stories and unfamed works hold the highest place in the heart of thousand people.Its quite surprising to learn that not every story gets a highlighted frame. Tqu sir for sharing a worthy one.

Re-art your perspective said...

thank you so much..

Asmita sapkota said...

New perspectives on leadership

Re-art your perspective said...

Please have your say.

Leadership and Management

The Presentation 2021.

A Leader Without Acheivement