Rajesh Bhandari

When young minds are challenged to think big, they will always believe to push their envelop forward regardless of situation.

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

The Quitter

 



Analytics, Think-tank and Elucidation:

The Quitter

 

Far from reality, we are hard reinforced not to quit on our dream, career, and passion, to have a never give up attitude, “if you quit more on what you are most passionate about, you will one day stop dreaming about your life”, we see this more on motivational quotes and videos that force to inspire people.

 But none of this has worked out in Rowand life, career, and future.

It’s really thought-provoking to comprehend how Rowand quitting demeanor had imparted a prodigious management message, where we most are nurtured up on never give up attitude.

Newly admitted, obviously had to create some new friends, when you are in a new school on your first day, Rowand left school in the middle of 7th grade, and joined the new one.

I have never seen you before in my class, one of the teacher - subject science - asked Rowand in the middle of the class. Yes - sir, I just left my previous school, Rowand replied as quickly as he could.

Everyone in the classroom looked at Rowand with their eyes - wide - open, this was something novel for the rest of the students, Teacher with a lot of curiosity asked Rowand - why did you leave your 7th grade at the middle of your academic year?

 Because I did not like the mathematics teacher, Rowand replied. Everyone laughed.

Fast forward four years later- During his college years, the science teacher wanted to know about the student’s future ambitions. He started, randomly, the classroom was filled up with, some doctors, engineers, pilots, and police officers. But Rowand had something else in his mind. He told, ambition kills people's dreams, their capabilities.

 The teacher looked surprised, and he asked why do you think so? It doesn’t work that way, having ambition is good but life has its own purpose for all of us. Rowand responded.

Rowand continued, Ambition keep changing, when I was at 5th standard I told to my father that I want to become an engineer, 3 months later when I see the books of an engineer, my head swing, then I changed my ambition for a doctor, it was great till I found that becoming a doctor needs huge investment. I then stop dreaming about anything in life.

But I am confident I will find the one that I will be happy doing by quitting most where I think I don’t belong.  Uncommon Rowand surely had defies the rest of the dreamers.

Hey, it’s me, Solemen, I sit at the front bench of our classroom, nice to meet you Solemen, it is really nice of you that you approach me, Rowand with a beautiful smile in his face. It was his first week at the newly joined college.

You said you want to be a professor of the university, when the teacher asked at the classroom, I wish you all the very best, and don’t give up on your dreams, Rowand advised to his new friend, Solemen.

Solemen with a passionate smile and confident, you know, I always dreamt of becoming a professor of the university. I don’t think anything can stop me.

I really love the way you carry confidence with your new-found dream. I hope you are going to stick with regardless of circumstances. Rowand replied passionately.

To drag a conversation, Rowand wanted to make something clear with Solemen.

Tell you what Solemen, I don’t know how you see your career and future, but I have my own perspective looking at life and career. If you see someone incredibly success, he will say I was passionate about it since my childhood, and I never give up on my dreams that’s  why I am here.

But he has forgotten the fact that, does he even know where he will stand at this point in time? I am sure no successful people are astrologists. Steve job never knew he is going to die at 52, nor even he knew about where apple will have reached that point. Or Zuckerberg could have had billions of users. He kept experimenting with his ideas.

Now if you ask Jeb Bezos, he will unquestionably reply, I always dreamt of building an empire. The fact is, he is made a billionaire by the customers and employees, surely not by his plan and so call dreams.

I think a career is a series of experimentation. The plan doesn’t have any meaning in my life. why do we need to plan, when we are going to keep changing as per the situation, experiment with your new-found knowledge, and see if u can grow? If u think, things are sucking out of your life, then quit, don’t justify to anyone why you should be working longer than you should and even wasting your time.

Find the next. Life has its own privilege.

Giving up like this would never going to help you in life, be passionate about what you exactly want, Solemen rejoined to Rowand’s rare perspective, as they both came out from their college.

I will show to the whole world, how I am going to achieve my dream.

How would you even know what is going to happen the way you got to see your life 20 years from now? Rowand responded to Solemen at his desperately instilled dream since childhood. Do you even know which job may attract you when you grow up? I hope you need some time to perceive life slightly differently. Rowand retorted.

Quitting did not end at school and college life for Rowand, he indeed quit many of his job with a hefty salary. Nobody knows what Rowand was chasing for? if he was chasing for something big in life or he wanted something small and be happy, if he doesn’t feel to have belonged, finding the next option is what he does.

After quitting many of his job, he finally got a job at one of the biggest company in the world, it was nice for him for 6 and a half months. The hiring manager called Rowand for an exit interview.

You seem to have a great offer from your previous company, despite that you did not bother to quit. Why you did so? Any reason. One of the HR Manager at the exit interview asked to Rowand. I did not quit because the job was hard, I quit because I quickly figure out the job was not for me. And the same thing I realize before a year passed by here in this company. Rowand replied.

What you don’t like about our company? Despite paying you a hefty salary, with the sophisticated corporate culture, I don’t understand why you taking such a decision. The other one of the panel of HR individual put forward a query to Rowand. I did not see anything wrong in the company but working for six months make me understand that, I am not made for the numbers or codes to write for my life long period. I assume I am not meant for anything of this. May be perfect for the rest of my team, just doesn’t appeal to me, I am sorry I wasted company times and investment in me.

Rowand never seems to stop quitting, maybe he was chasing for something that he most passionate about.  he himself doesn’t know about his likes and interest, but what we can understand about his quitting habit is he is surely a good person to figure out what he doesn’t like early in his life so that he could quit on something he finds where he doesn’t belong, but the question is till when Rowand is going to quit. Even Rowand does not have the answer to respond to the people matters for his life.

Rowand on the other hand wants to experiment with his career and life. Or perhaps a smarted quitter the world has ever seen and heard.

22 years later, Rowand had a presentation for his research paper at a 3-Star-Hotel. A three-day conference for a published paper, the last day, the owner of the hotel wanted to meet Rowand and his team member for a thanksgiving.

As Rowand and his team were waiting for the owner at the hotel lobby, Solemen from the back, started to greet all.

 Solemen and Rowand both of them could not believe their eyes.

You are the owner of the Hotel!! How did it happen? It’s a long story, the plan did not work, dropped out amid graduation, said Solemen. Indeed, it must be a long story, replied Rowand.

And how about you?  - finally, it’s you who became a University Professor? How it happened.

Rowand in his own style.  It is a very very elongated story, my friend.  Let’s - go - grab some coffee together and dialogue.

So what is your future plan? Rowand asked Solemen, as both of them were enjoying each sip of coffee. Solemen with a great sense of humor.

Sometimes, you did not even know things outside your ambition and passion are perfect for you. A diverse perspective will not only persevere, he/she will be good at finding what is not meant for them- quit early- and find the one by abolishing the worst to touch out the best.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one 👍

Leadership and Management

The Presentation 2021.

A Leader Without Acheivement